Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fiction Packet, "Morning News"

     Morning News is an absolutely amazing short story. Firstly, the author is never specific about what the news is. As the story progresses, the author discusses the implications of receiving life altering news. Expertly spinning out the details of the actions the author must now take, the author reveals (by not revealing) that he is being confronted by his own mortality.
     The "morning news," was given to the author by a doctor, and now the author must decide how to put his affairs into order, and say goodbye to those he loves. This resonates strongly with me, and moves me profoundly because the writer so clearly captures and describes their feelings and fears about their impending end. While reading his premonitions about his familys' reactions, it feels very personal and I put myself in the readers shoes.
     Because the author writes in a way that makes the story even more personal and intimate, I find myself more drawn in and more moved by it. This is an excellent example of fiction writing, and why spinning details is so important. Without the details the author uses (his wifes reaction, his own reaction), the story would not have connected with me the way it did.

1 comment: