Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mystery Stories

     In our fiction packet, I found the section, "Mystery Stories," to be the most interesting. I don't know why these short snippets are my favorite, but they resonate the most with me. I believe it is the very descriptive language that appeals to me the most .
     Each of the stories is only a short paragraph, but each paragraph uses its title and its language to create very strong imagery. Also, each of the short paragraphs almost starts a story in their own right. Its like the mystery stories are actually a series of first-paragraphs to a book or a chapter or some larger story. I would like to know what author Sharon Krinsky was trying to say or do here, but if it was only to be memorable so someone than she succeded.

"An old Japanese man is living alone on the outskirts of town. He feels sad and he is singing loudly about his bad fortune. I dream that I am this Japanese man. I wake up crying in the dream but not in real life."

     Of the short stories in "Myster Stories," my favorite was the  snippet entitled, "The Japanese Man." To me, this story almost seems like a poem. While whats happening in this snippet is clear, the reason behind its penning leaves a lot of question. Why a Japanese old man, why singing loudly about bad fortune, and whats the back story?

No comments:

Post a Comment